Sunday, September 17, 2006

Luminescent Legacy in the Midwest

Electric Tiffany--The Paine Art Center and Gardens--Oshkosh, WI Through October 8, 2006

Briiliant color from a brilliant master, only in the Midwest...
Electric Tiffany features fifty original lamps created by the studios of renowned American artist and designer Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933). Produced at the turn of the century, primarily between 1895 and 1920, Tiffany's remarkable lamps coincided with the development of electricity and signify his quest to bring beauty to American homes. Ultimately, Tiffany developed the lamp into an entirely new art form, pioneering the artistic use of the newly invented light bulb to create decorative objects that were both elegant and utilitarian. Tiffany Studios produced more than 400 different designs for both shades and bases in a variety of forms, ranging from table and floor lamps to hanging fixtures. Botanical themes inspired most designs, but others show Tiffany's interest in Islamic and Moorish motifs, fauna, and geometric patterns. Electric Tiffany demonstrates this immense diversity and celebrates the creativity, innovation, and exquisite craftsmanship of Tiffany's magnificent lamps. >>continue>>



Post a Comment

<< Home